Thursday, November 17, 2011

Yesterday was the 100th anniversary celebration and rededication service of Founder's Chapel. I got to work at the reception, which was sweet. But that also meant that I didn't get to stay for the whole service, which was sad. But the thing that stuck with me (enough to google it and look for the original quotation etc) was Leonard Griffith mentioning these words:
"I steadfastly refuse to gratify the devil by becoming discouraged." (according to Google the origin is unknown)
I kind of get a little distracted by the implication of morality when it comes to a touchy subject like depression. But when you stop to think. The reason the devil gets satisfaction out of my discouragement is because I've stopped reminding myself that God is bigger than whatever is discouraging me. Stupid Stupid Me. Obviously everything I've known tells me that my conclusion is dumb. Obviously God is bigger than that. Obviously the moment I ignore that fact is the moment the devil's got a big smile on his ugly face.

No comments: