Wednesday, February 26, 2014

learning.




Haven't blogged in a while. There are actually quite a few drafts piling up on this blog's dashboard which will never see the light of your computer screen, but that is ok. They're tucked away much like these beads are. Easily accessible but we'll just not talk about the creativity and determination necessary for such activities.

The theme of the day, and of the year kind of, has been addressed a few times over today and here is one of its manifestations copied from today's episode of Jesus Calling by Sarah Young: "I am leading you, step by step, through your life. Hold My hand in trusting dependence, letting Me guide you through this day. Your future looks uncertain and feels flimsy--even precarious. That is how it should be. Secret things belong to the Lord, and future things are secret things. When you try to figure out the future, you are grasping at things that are Mine. This, like all forms of worry, is an act of rebellion: doubting My promises to care for you. Whenever you find yourself worrying about the future, repent and return to Me. I will show you the next step forward, and the one after that, and the one after that. Relax and enjoy the journey in My presence, trusting Me to open up the way before you as you go." (and Deut 29:29, and Psalm 32:8...)

As I left the Cannon today I observed that I didn't know where I was going next, and Zak kindly and hilariously pointed out that this could be referring to the next event in my day or to the next years of my life plan.

I think I am just now coming to the realization that since I've never even had a drive to make a 10 year plan, or even a 5 year plan (beyond graduating from university a couple times), maybe I'm actually ok to be focusing more on the 5 month plan or even the 5 day plan.

If how we spend our days is how we spend our lives (Annie Dillard) then I am happy with spending my life open to the next conversation, to the next immediate adventure, to the next coffee. Even to shovelling the next snowstorm. Need to learn how to be thrifty and still plan ahead for things like cooking from scratch and such (appearing grownup and capable), while also open to the next ridiculous unplanned adventure.

No comments: